My skin.

Note: This is long, so I have sectioned it out. If you don't care for a certain area and want to skip it, then go for it. I bolded the sections to make life easier.
(I promise. It's not like I'll know if you've skipped or not. I really, really don't mind.)

* If you just want to read one section, I recommend the 'Diet' section as it is the most important.


History
Skincare -- like every other girl starting from age twelve thanks to
Seventeen magazine -- is important for me. I remember when I got my first pimple at age thirteen and was so shocked. I went to my mom, pointed at it and said 'What IS that!?'. I literally had no idea what a zit was, because that was the least of my worries (ie. I cared more about beating Kingdom Hearts than I did about smelling like flowers. Seriously, as long as I showered and was clean, I didn't care.)

After thirteen, I gradually began to break out -- not much, just a pimple here and there around the times when my hormones would influx. Again, wasn't a big deal -- until I hit age nineteen. Mind you, this was after high school. Between nineteen and twenty, my chin was a party for pimples. Again, it wasn't as much as many others to garner massive embarrassment, but it was still more than I had ever had before.

Que massive amounts of money wasted on over the counter products and daily rituals that just didn't give the results they promised. Around this time, I began an interest in natural medicine and healing. I began going to a healer who truly helped me with my skin through natural methods -- diet and topical. This was when I realized that there was a chance my frustration toward my skin was causing more trouble than any product I was applying.

Everyone's face is a different, and everyone has their off phase with their skin. I came to the realization that although I was annoyed with what was happening, within a few years that age would do its job ... but it wouldn't hurt to help speed up the process, right?

Face Routine
* No one paid me to use or mention any of these products. I mean seriously, who would find this blog? I bought these and tried them myself. Pinky promise.

     DAY TIME

I try to keep it simple, because I hate spending hours on my face in the morning, especially when I'm going to school or have a small amount of time to get ready.

I start off by cleansing. Depending on the time, I will either wash my face with MyChelle Dermaceuticals White Cranberry Cleanser or use a natural witch hazel like Humphreys. The cleanser is a rather small bottle for a round figure of $10, but I've had this thing for months now. You only need a tiny amount. Just apply it on your wet face and massage it in for about a minute. Rinse, pat dry. With the witch hazel, you can just squirt some on a cotton pad and wipe your face with it. It's quick and works great, especially if you're tired and don't feel like spending too much time on it!

After I'm done cleansing, I'll use a natural based moisturizer with SPF in it. Even during winter, I'll make sure I use a moisturizer with SPF in it. If I'm going to use makeup, I like to use Boots Botanics Complexion Refining Day Moisture Lotion SPF 12. I just put a pea sized amount on my finger tip, rub it between (clean) hands and pat/push it into my skin, rather than rubbing it on. Makes me feel so nice and fresh, and it has a really light scent that doesn't bother me. If I'm going to spend a lot of time out in the sun, I skip makeup completely and just apply a natural, physical sunscreen like Badger SPF 34 Lightly Scented Sunscreen. This is the best sunscreen I've ever used. Keep in mind that it is a physical sunscreen and will leave a white film on your face. It doesn't absorb like creams and lotions do, but creates an actual barrier on the face. If you have darker skin, this may be more obvious. But if you're pale like me, you can kind of get away with it. Use a teeny amount and rub it evenly in your hands before applying it on the skin. At least this way you'll know if you've missed a spot!

     NIGHT TIME / SHOWER
If you use anything from what I've told you, use this. My healer gave me this scrub recipe, and I'll be using it til the day I die. Mix Real Salt and organic honey (can be raw!) Just make sure the honey is not the fake stuff -- it has to be real, and if it's local, even better! Add an equal amount until you get a good consistency of a scrub. Because this is such a natural scrub and isn't harsh at all, I use it every other day. I tend to have oily skin, so this helps soothe it without drying out my skin. The salt helps pull out any excess water/dirt my face may have chillin' in its pores, and the honey redistributes a balanced moisture throughout my skin. Feel free to use this on the body too!

After I get out of the shower, I like to use the same patting/pushing technique with a nightly moisturizer. I use Avalon Organics Lavender Ultimate Night Cream. It smells so nice and is really, really light -- not greasy or heavy like other night creams.

This may sound silly at age twenty one, but I also use an eye cream. I just pat a little Boots Botanics Organic Face Moisturizing Eye Cream with my ring finger under my eye area and on the sides. Now just tie your hair back and get some sleep!

Diet
STOP EATING CRAP. I know that's blunt as all hell, but seriously -- if you want good, clean skin then you must definitely eat good, clean food. It has helped me so much. Lessen your poor oil intake and replace it with good oils (olive, coconut, safflower). Stop eating fried food daily like pastries or chicken or corn dogs or whatever else that tastes amazing. I'm not saying remove everything you enjoy from your life -- or else I'd be a terrible role model. I eat fries, I eat cheesecake -- I love sweets! Just try your best not to eat it every day. Explore whole foods like fruits, veggies, and grains. You can make a mean fruit smoothie that tastes just as amazing as that stuff at Jamba Juice. You can make an amazing veg platter with a yogurt and garlic dipping sauce that is much better for you than Ranch.

SPEND TIME WITH YOUR FOOD. Realize what you're eating. Let your body tell you what it needs. If you suddenly get a craving for garlic, then sneak it into your food -- your immune system may be going down. If you have a hunger for something with citrus, there is a chance your body needs more Vitamin C. Get it in, supplement it for what it truly needs and not what you want.

SPEAKING OF SUPPLEMENTS.
 Treat yourself to some vitamins when you feel that you're lacking something. I don't go outside as much as I should, so I take Vitamin D daily. I also take B-Complex as it is fantastic for giving you energy and letting you go throughout the day.

WATER. I'm not going to explain myself. Drink enough water. It'll change your life.

EXERCISE. Sweat out all the toxins that have been hanging out in your body this whole time. It's difficult and you'll be sluggish at first, but that's your body getting used to a fitter, healthier, happier you. It will treat you well in the long run. Promise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment