My relationship with my diet.

When I was twelve years old, my parents officially cut out meat from their lives. With the exception of fish, they haven't consumed any meat (on purpose) for about eleven years. At that young age, my mother told me their reasoning, but she assured me that if I ever wanted any meat, she would make it for me. Rather than accept the invitation, I decided to not eat meat either. That day, at age twelve, I made one of the greatest decisions of my life.

Now, at age twenty-one, I still do not consume meat on a daily basis -- but because I'm a foodie, I will sample meats if we go to unique restaurants. If I do eat meat, and more than I usually do, I end up feeling terrible afterwards and the next day -- this is because my body is just not used to consuming meat, and I personally don't like it at all. (Edit: I do consume seafood about once a week. We enjoy our sushi and salmon once in a while!)

Let's get this straight -- I'm not a vegetarian, a vegan, a pescetarian, a bacontarian, a carnivore -- you get the point. Labels allow limitations, and limitations allow for a stressed and mentally frustrated me. Simply put: I eat what I eat. It makes me feel good.

That being said, I only buy (and encourage my mom to buy) whole foods -- and I don't mean the chain company. I mean fruits, vegetables, grains and the like. Foods that make you feel good. Foods that force you to prepare them.

Let's get a little intimate here -- I'm addicted to preparing food. If it takes an hour, it takes an hour. The act of getting up from my seat and actually pulling out ingredients, spending time with each one, slicing them -- it's as if it's some sort of surgical procedure. When I know I'm spending so much time on such a healthy dish, it just amps up the amount of appreciation and excitement when the time comes to eat. It is my own little experience at that moment in time, and no one knows how it feels but me.

This brings me to an important point: happiness. Health is vital, but genuine happiness is truly what you want here. You should never be forced out of eating foods you love. I've come to this stage in my life through my own experiences -- research has had a hand in it, and people have had a hand in it -- but ultimately, it was my happiness and my connection with my diet that changed everything.

Alter what you consume to your wants and needs. The obvious fact about eating too much "sweets" is there, but eating too much of anything is bad for you. It's okay to eat cheesecake once in a while. I promise you won't die. And it's okay to have a bag of chips, regardless of how fried/baked/seasoned who-the-hell-cares they've been through. You want them, have them. In the end it is your happiness and your experience with your diet that is crucial.

If you're ever scrutinized for the food you consume, realize that there may be a chance the person doing the scrutiny is a fair bit too serious about their diet. I will never, ever look down upon people who eat meat, or eat cheesecake every single day -- if they smile at me and they're beaming, I want to see that.

Food brings joy, not torture. Don't force yourself to consume items you have no connection to. But know that if you are ever interested in a certain dietary path, there are people who will help you. The only guide is yourself, but there is no shame in having some aid and input on the way. If you have any problems with consumption -- too much, too little, not enough veg, too much veg -- and you feel that it's a task in your daily life to enjoy it, then talk to somebody about it.

The earth is beautiful and has given us such a bountiful amount of delicious foods to enjoy and seriously spend time with. Don't hold back, explore.

It is with this happiness and connection to my diet that allows me to openly share recipes of foods that I consume currently in my life; I extend this appreciation and love toward you and wish you some happy "diet" soul searching!

0 comments:

Post a Comment